2018 RITENAUER'S RUN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Mayor Chase Ritenauer believes very strongly in the importance of education. For this purpose, Mayor Ritenauer collaborated with The Morning Journal to host the "Ritenauer's Run at The Journal Jog" with proceeds benefiting charities or causes. Mayor Ritenauer campaigned for sponsors who donated to create a scholarship fund for the students of the City of Lorain.
Mayor Ritenauer's Scholarship Fund is an opportunity for any high school senior residing in the City of Lorain to receive a scholarship of at least $500. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. The scholarship program will be awarded in four different categories. Each student is only allowed to submit an application for one category. If an applicant applies for more than one category, each application will be disqualified. The following are the categories:
The Fred Ritenauer Scholarship, recognizing students with strong work experience;
The Joel "Smittie" Smith Scholarship, recognizing students for community involvement;
The Andy Georgas Scholarship, recognizing students for extra curricular activities;
The Doris Marotta Scholarship, recognizing students for academic achievement.
Recipients of scholarships will be contacted by the Scholarship Committee at the end of March. To help disburse the funds to the recipients, the Lorain Club of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women's Club have generously agreed to hold the funds for the Ritenauer's Run Scholarship Program until disbursement. The scholarships will be presented to the recipients at the annual luncheon of the Lorain Club of The National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women's Club in late April.
To apply, you must submit an essay that is between 500 and 800 words based on one of the following three essay topics:
1. Pick an experience from your own life and explain how it has influenced your development.
2. Why do you want to pursue a college education?
3. Please describe the City of Lorain based on your thoughts, experiences, visions and/or hopes for the city.
Please email your essay to email@example.com. Please be sure to include all of the following information in your email:
1. Please type "Scholarship" and your last name in the subject line of your email;
2. Provide your first & last name, mailing address, email address and phone number;
3. Note the scholarship category you are applying for;
4. Provide the name of the high school you attend;
5. Supply your cumulative GPA;
6. List your extracurricular activities;
7. List your community involvement;
8. List your work experience;
9. List any Awards and Honors you have received.
Also, you must state in your email that you affirm that you are a legal resident of Lorain for at least two years, AND, that you plan to enroll as a full time student in a two or four year accredited post-secondary institution for the upcoming school year.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Mayor's Office at 440-204-2002.