What is a water service pipe? Who owns it and maintains it?

The water service is the pipe which begins with the connection to the water main in the city right-of-way and comes into your property. This service line has two valves on it to allow your water to be turned on or off. The first valve, called a curb stop, is generally located near the property line and is normally housed by a cylinder with a cap on it called a curb box or stop box. The other valve is located in your home next to the water meter. Other valves may be near plumbing fixtures in your home such as sinks and toilets. 

Repairs to anything on the service other than the meter, is the responsibility of the property owner. Keeping the valve at the meter in good working condition will assure that you will be able to turn your water off in an emergency, such as a water pipe break. If this valve at the meter does not work in an emergency, call 440-204-2500 so that Utilities Department can shut your water off at the stop box, which requires a stop box key. Only the City of Lorain Utilities Department may turn off the shut off valve.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I pay my water bill?
2. How do I sign up for water service?
3. What should I do if my water bill seems too high?
4. Who do I contact if there is a water main break?
5. What is a water service pipe? Who owns it and maintains it?
6. How are water characteristics measured?
7. What kind of technology is used to test the water?